The American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry is an organization of psychiatrists dedicated to using, teaching, and advancing psychodynamic and psychoanalytic principles and skills in the practice of modern psychiatry wherever clinical work takes place.
We are an affiliate organization of the American Psychiatric Association (APA) and welcome interested colleagues to join us at our Annual Meetings and share our publications.
The aims of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry are:
- To provide a forum for discussion of psychodynamic work in the consulting room as well as ideas and research in psychodynamic psychiatry and psychoanalysis;
- To encourage research and scholarship in psychodynamic psychiatry and psychoanalysis;
- To support education in psychodynamic principles and skills for trainees in psychiatry and psychoanalysis as well as for graduate psychiatrists and for other mental health clinicians;
- To support inquiry into the phenomena of individual motivation and social behavior, basic building blocks of psychodynamic thinking;
- To foster communication among psychiatrists, psychoanalysts, and colleagues in the sciences and the humanities.