The American Academy of Psychodynamic Psychiatry and Psychoanalysis (AAPDPP) is an organization of psychiatrists dedicated to using, teaching, and advancing psychodynamic and psychoanalytic principles and skills in the practice of modern psychiatry wherever clinical work takes place.
We are an affiliate organization of the American Psychiatric Association (APA) and welcome interested colleagues to join us at our Annual Meetings and share our publications.
The aims of The American Academy of Psychodynamic Psychiatry and Psychoanalysis are:
- To provide a forum for discussion of psychodynamic work in the consulting room as well as ideas and research in psychodynamic psychiatry and psychoanalysis;
- To encourage research and scholarship in psychodynamic psychiatry and psychoanalysis;
- To support education in psychodynamic principles and skills for trainees in psychiatry and psychoanalysis as well as for graduate psychiatrists and for other mental health clinicians;
- To support inquiry into the phenomena of individual motivation and social behavior, basic building blocks of psychodynamic thinking;
- To foster communication among psychiatrists, psychoanalysts, and colleagues in the sciences and the humanities.
The Academy welcomes physician psychoanalysts, licensed psychiatrists, residents and medical students who are interested in psychodynamic psychiatry.
Interested in joining the Academy? View the Membership section for details and to obtain an application.
Series IV of the Academy’s Educational Lecture Series
“Biopsychosocial Aspects of Psychodynamic Psychiatry”
Gerald P. Perman, MD, AAPDPP Past President
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
July 20, 2023
Sara Culleton, MD, PhD – Applying Psychodynamic Principles to Encounters in the Inpatient Consult-Liaison Psychiatry Setting
September 15, 2023
Robert Post, MD – Memories are Malleable: Remember to Remind Yourself of Positive Experiences
October 19, 2023
Mark Erikson, MD – Darwin, and Freud’s Epistemological Path to the Unconscious
November 16, 2023
Gerald Perman, MD – Virtual Psychiatry is Here to Stay
December 21, 2023
Samar Habl, MD – Systems Enactment in Psychodynamic Psychiatry
January 18, 2024
Jessica Meyer, MD – Psychodynamic Aspects of Infertility
February 15. 2024
Elise Synder, MD – The CAPA Experience
March 21, 2024
Ahron Friedberg, MD – Finding Happiness During Times of Trouble
April 18, 2024
Sylvia Olarte, MD – Reflections on a Psychodynamic Career after 50 Years of Practicing